EMS Emergency Medical Technician
Performs basic life support procedures consistent with State and local operating protocols.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Renders basic life support procedures to patients in a variety of settings consistent with State and local operating protocols.
- Administers initial treatment at emergency scene and takes and records patient’s vital signs.
- Provide medical examination and screening of patients consistent with company Protocols.
- Assists in extricating trapped victims and transports sick and injured persons to treatment center.
- Properly loads, secures, and transports patients in accordance with company policy and procedures.
- Observes, records, and reports to the physician, patient’s conditions, and reaction to drugs, treatments, and significant incidents.
- Directs and coordinates patient care, between inter-agency (i.e. Fire and Police) personnel and other company employees.
- Drives ambulance to and from emergency and non-emergency scenes in a manner appropriate to dispatch direction and to patient condition, at all times considering due regard for the safety of self and others. Operates the vehicle in accordance to any and all applicable laws, rules, and company policies. Navigates by road maps, directions, etc.
- Communicates with Physicians and other medical personnel via radio or telephone.
- Communicates with patient, patient’s family, others at the scene and at the hospital in a courteous and professional manner at all times.
- Completes and assists in the completion of necessary patient and company paperwork in accordance with company policy and procedures.
- Completes vehicle and equipment checklists, and maintains ambulances and other company vehicles and equipment in a clean and efficient working order, and ensures ambulance is appropriately stocked. This includes washing the vehicles at the end of each shift.
- Uses safety and PPE equipment as required by law and company policies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Performs all duties in a safe courteous, confidential, and professional manner, always taking into account the well-being of the patient.
- Maintains a positive and professional image by being well-groomed and properly attired at all times.
- Maintains response readiness consistent with company’s response criteria.
- Mentors, trains, and encourages fellow staff as needed, to help them attain their full potential.
- Completes all reports, including patient care records, legibly, accurately, and on a timely basis.
- Maintains certification through clinical experience and continuing education.
- Maintains confidentiality of all customer and Armstrong information.
All Employees of Armstrong Ambulance are required to read and sign a ‘Confidentiality Agreement’ which includes the following expectations of employees:
- Employees are expected to protect the privacy of all patient information in accordance with Company policies, procedures, and practices, as required by Law, and in accordance with general principles of professionalism as a health care provider.
- Employees may access protected health information and other patient information only to the extent that it is necessary to complete job duties and may only share such information with those who have a need to know specific patient information to complete their job responsibilities related to treatment, payment, or other company operations.
- Employees are encouraged and expected to report, without the threat of retaliation, any concerns regarding the company’s policies and procedures on patient privacy and any observed practices in violation of that policy to the designated management personnel.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Certification as an EMT in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Certification in Basic Life Support CPR
- Valid motor vehicle operator license with satisfactory driving history
- Successfully completes required training programs in Hazmat, MCI Management (NIMS 100 & 700) prior to completion of classroom orientation..
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write grammatically correct reports and correspondence. Ability to effectively interact and communicate with patients, co-workers, and medical facility staff. Ability to provide good and accurate oral reports to designated medical personnel.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Able to compute rate, ratio, and percent, and interpret EKG charts.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. In order to verify that the candidate/employee can perform the essential functions of this job, a Physical Agility Test may be required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee must:
- Regularly lift carry, push and/or pull up to 50 pounds (i.e., equipment).
- Frequently lift, carry, maneuver and balance 125 lbs. (200-300 lbs. with partner) on both even and uneven surfaces including ascending and descending stairs, and in confined work places.
- The employee is regularly required to stand, sit, and walk and is frequently required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl; and taste and smell.
- Work in stressful conditions surrounding accidents/sites, where there is danger of injury, loss of life and significant emotional stress.
- Utilize both gross and fine motor skills of the upper extremities in providing patient care including regular use of hands to finger, handle or feel, and reaching with hands and arms.
- Work in environments which may affect the respiratory system or the skin and which may include the use of a personal respirator and other personal protective equipment.
- Specific vision abilities include near and far distances, peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus, and ability to determine color differentiations.
- Armstrong Ambulance reserves the right to test employees with its Drug-Free Workplace policy. Random drug tests may be conducted for positions that are safety sensitive.
The work environment is representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The work environment is frequently hectic with exposure to highly emotional situations.
- Regular scheduling involves long shifts and regularly scheduled and unscheduled overtime.
- The employee frequently works in outside weather conditions and is exposed to vibration.
- The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in high precarious places and is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold, and risk of electrical shock from cardioversions, blood and body fluids, and associated pathogens.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but maybe high at times due to vehicle, highway, and mechanical equipment noise.
Armstrong Ambulance Service is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
How to Apply
Apply via Armstrong's job portal.