Fire Full Time, Assistant Supervisor of Apparatus
The Lawrence Fire Department is looking for a Full Time, Assistance Supervisor of Apparatus. Under the direction of the Supervisor of Apparatus and the Chief of Department, performs skilled mechanical work in the maintenance of Fire Department vehicles and equipment.
- Responsible for the maintenance, repair, and servicing of all assigned Lawrence Fire Department equipment.
- Maintain, repair, and service gas and diesel fire engines, including: drive train, running gear components, pumps, valves, piping, control systems, pumping engines hydraulics, aerial ladders, aid units, and department automobiles.
- Rebuild bodies; design and build compartments within vehicles; and modify existing systems.
- Maintain high and low pressure compressors and storage systems.
- Maintain a standby power plant to ensure continuous use of department buildings and radios during an emergency.
- Maintain and repair hose nozzles, generator sets, chain saws, lighting components, ladders, axes and portable pump.
- Conduct annual pump services test.
- Coordinate Underwriters Laboratory testing of aerial devices.
- Maintain breathing apparatus and charging systems.
- Design and build modifications to existing equipment.
- Maintain all necessary equipment and vehicle records; ensure engines and equipment are properly tested and meet all required standards
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED required; additional college-level or vocational training in heavy duty equipment maintenance and repair preferred.
- Two years’ journey level experience in the repair and maintenance of fire apparatus or closely related heavy-duty equipment; and the ability to demonstrate proficiency required.
- Additional formal training directly related to equipment as currently used by the Lawrence Fire Department may substitute for required experience depending on overall qualifications and proficiency demonstration.
- Valid Massachusetts State Driver’s License at time of appointment.
- Possession of Massachusetts State Commercial Driver’s License (Class B with air brakes endorsement) as prescribed by DMV is a condition of continuing employment.
- Experience in a lead or supervisory capacity is preferred.
- Certification as an Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) auto/heavy truck master mechanic is a plus.
Reasonable Accommodations are provided to applicants with disabilities. If you need reasonable accommodations for any part of the application and/or hiring process, please notify the Personnel Director at (978) 620-3060. The decision to grant reasonable accommodations will be made on a case-by-case basis.
The City of Lawrence is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply
Application and Full Job Description Located in the City Personnel Office:
200 Common Street, Room 303
Lawrence, MA 01840