Fire Full Time, Deputy Chief East Longmeadow Fire Department
The Town of East Longmeadow is seeking candidates for the position of Deputy Fire Chief. This position is best suited for a progressive leader with a vision for community engagement, active leadership and collaborative leadership with the goal of developing long term plans for continual forward progress of the Fire Departments mission.
Education and Experience:
- A minimum of ten (10) years professional firefighting for a comparable or larger department that a operates fire-service based ambulance service, of which a minimum of four (4) years must have been in a command level such as Lieutenant, Captain, Battalion Chief, Deputy or Assistant Chief or higher is required.
- Possession of, a Massachusetts Driver’s License required.
- Possession of a Firefighter I/II Pro Board Certification required.
- Possession of a Fire Officer II Pro Board Certification required.
- Possession of a Fire Instructor II Pro Board Certification required.
- Possession of Massachusetts OEMS EMT – B license required, EMT – P preferred.
- A Bachelor’s degree, from an accredited college or university, in Fire Science, Management, Emergency Management, Emergency Medical Services, or Public Administration preferred.
- Completion of ICS 300: Intermediate ICS required, ICS 400: Advanced ICS preferred.
- Excellent supervisory, mentoring and training skills.
- Outstanding communication skills with the ability to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Project management experience as it applies to Fire Department programs and activities.
- Fire Department budgeting experience helpful.
- Assists in the strategic planning and goal setting for short-range and long-range needs with respect to administration, operations, equipment, apparatus, facilities, and personnel.
- Assists in preparation, development, and management of the operating budget.
- Assists in preparation, development, and management of capital equipment budget requests and procurement procedures.
- Assists with handling of personnel matters including but not limited to: observing & evaluating of personnel, responding to personnel conflicts, and participating in the personnel discipline process.
- Represents the department and/or the Fire Chief/EMD at assigned meetings, committees, or events.
- Oversees daily firefighter schedule including approval of permitted leave and overtime.
- Assists in the preparation of standard operating guidelines for the department as warranted and evaluates the effectiveness of same; plans, researches and develops new ideas, methods, programs and equipment to improve daily and emergency operations.
- Operates as Incident Command in the Fire Chief/EMD’s absence for any structure fire or major incident.
- Operates in any command function as directed by the Incident Commander during an incident.
- Evaluates the community’s needs and recommends modifications of departmental operations to meet those needs.
- At the direction of the Chief or in the absence of the Chief, responds as a Chief Officer in the position of State Regional Task Force Leader or Alternate Leader.
- Assist with the investigations of incidents that are suspicious in nature and/ or in the case of fatalities by working with various outside agencies such as the State Fire Marshall or other agencies as the situation requires.
- Liaison with Westcomm for fire &; EMS dispatch review &; steering committee.
- Oversees the daily operation of the fire department. Works with the Shift Captains to coordinate the daily operation of the fire department and firefighters.
- Oversees fire department’s building, vehicle, and equipment maintenance and readiness.
- Attends schools, conferences, professional group meetings to keep abreast of current trends and developments in the field of fire science and rescue technology.
- Oversee the fire department’s fire prevention program including but not limited to:
- Assists fire inspector with permit processing and scheduling.
- Assign inspection to group in the absence of fire inspector
- Provides code enforcement and plan review
- Develops and manages a pre-plan program to be followed by fire department groups
- Assists the Fire Chief and Department Training Officer with developing training programs and schedules.
- Operational oversight of the EMS Coordinator
- Clinical oversight of the ALS Coordinator, an EMT – P
- Respond to EMS when on duty when additional help is needed and operate to EMT licensed level
How to Apply
Applicants can apply via online at https://www.eastlongmeadowma.gov/jobs.aspx or submit your application, resume, cover letter and references to:
Human Resources Department,
60 Center Square,
East Longmeadow MA 01028
The Town of East Longmeadow is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/D/V and does not discriminate based on race, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual preference or any other legally protected status. The Town of East Long Meadow is an Equal Opportunity Empliyer