Fire Full Time, Deputy Fire Chief
The Town Of Stratford is seeking candidates for the position of Deputy Fire Chief. The Stratford Fire Department is comprised of 96 sworn personnel and two administrative staff. This position is best suited for a progressive leader with a vision for community engagement, active leadership and collaborative leadership of the department. The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate proven leadership in and develop long term plans for continual forward progress of the Fire Departments mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Response to major fire incidents and other related emergency conditions and assume incident command as necessary; directs all fire ground activities at emergency scenes as required.
- Remains on call as needed during non-working hours.
- Drafts and implements Fire Department policy, procedures and pre planning in order to provide efficient emergency services through Fire and Emergency medical response, assists in planning for short and long range resources to meet department objectives.
- Directs the operations as the second in command, through the Assistant Chiefs and officers of the
- Fire Department in cooperation with applicable Town Departments with evaluating and coordinating apparatus and station maintenance.
- Assist the Fire Chief in labor contract administration, compliance and negotiations.
- Assist the Fire Chief along with the Human Resource department with administration of discipline and workplace safety issues.
- Assists in the preparation and presentation of the annual departmental and capital improvement budgets.
- Assist in controlling the expenditure of departmental fund allocations within the constraints of approved budgets, oversight of financial administrative functions as well as purchase of all firefighting equipment and apparatus.
- Supervises and monitors the incident report management system for emergency incidents and provide quality improvement to achieve required compliance for service delivery.
- Oversight and compliance of departments Infection Control program.
- Oversight and compliance of any OSHA compliance or Insurance Service Organization programs.
- Oversight and compliance of time and attendance program for the Fire Department staff.
- Works continuously to improve operational service delivery, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively with Town departments to provide quality customer service to all internal and external stakeholders.
- Has considerable knowledge of Fire Science policies, procedures and industry practices.
- Supports Town of Stratford Policy and procedures, and performs additional work as assigned by the Fire Chief as required.
Qualifications, Education, and Experience
- Candidate should possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Fire Service or Emergency Management or the equivalent from a recognized college or university, or 15 years of progressively responsible fire service experience to include at least 5 years of shift supervisory experience as a Career Fire
- Officer in a comparable sized Fire Department. A combination of education and experience substituting on the basis of one year of experience for each year of education may also be considered.
- Preferred Candidate shall have Connecticut certification as Fire Officer 2, Fire Instructor 2,
- Health and Safety Officer and Incident Safety Officer at time of application and obtain Fire Officer 3 within one year of appointment.
- Possession of a valid CT Commercial Driver’s license (at least a Class B) or CT Driver’ license with a “Q” endorsement.
- Maintenance of all certifications is required throughout employment
How to Apply
Interested Candidates should submit their application to the Town of Stratford at:
Town of Stratford
HR Department, Attention: Peggy Pancak
2725 Main Street
Stratford, CT 06615