EMS Full Time, Firefighter/EMT
The Town of Hamden is seeking qualified applications for Entry-Level Firefighter/EMT for the Hamden Fire Department. Firefighter/ EMTs are responsible for performing fire suppression, fire prevention, and rescue work; this work is performed in accordance with departmental procedures and specific instruction; work requires performance of hazardous tasks under emergency conditions; work may involve extreme exertion for usually short periods of time under such handicaps as smoke, heat, and cramped surroundings.
After training, employees in this classification are required perform ice and water rescues, searches for lost and injured people in difficult terrain, Hazardous Materials response, technical rescue, and the extrication of injured people from vehicles and machinery. Fire Station work involves inspecting and maintaining firefighting equipment and quarters, and performing supervised training activities. Approximately 70% of the Hamden Department of Fire & Emergency Services incidents involve both BLS and / or ALS emergency medical services on-scene. All on-duty line personnel are required to respond to emergency medical calls regardless of their station or apparatus assignment.
A non-refundable $50 application fee is required
Applicants must possess a valid National Registry EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) certification card by time of list certification by the Civil Service Commission.
Education and Training
- Applicants must possess a High School Diploma or GED
- All applicants must possess a current EMT license issued by the State of Connecticut, or National Registry Certification by the time the Civil Service Eligibility list is created.
- A copy of both must by supplied to the Personnel Department prior to Civil Service list certification.
- Applicants must possess a valid motor vehicle operator’s license at the time of application and a valid Connecticut Driver’s license at the time of conditional appointment. You must provide a copy at time of application.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age at the time of application to be eligible
- Applicants must be a U.S. Citizen and must be a resident of the State of Connecticut at the time of appointment.
- Applicants must pass a physical exam (CPAT)
CPAT ORIENTATION GUIDE: https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/CFPC/_old_files/CPATOrientationGuide2007pdf.pdf
How to Apply
Interested Candidates should provide their resume and fill out an application here
Completed Applications and resumes can be sent to:
Hamden Government Center
2750 Dixwell Avenue
Hamden, CT 06518
Applications can also be put in the Personnel drop box at the Hamden Government center or sent via email to: Eblue@hamden.com