Fire Full Time, Firefighter/EMT- Merrimac Fire Department
The Merrimac Fire Department is seeking qualified candidates for Firefighter/EMT positions. There are 2 positions currently open. The Firefighter/EMT performs administrative, supervisory, and direct firefighting, emergency aid, hazardous materials and fire prevention duties for the Merrimac Fire Department to prevent or minimize the loss of life and property by fire; all other related work as required.
Education and Experience:
High school education; five years of firefighting and EMS experience; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A valid motor vehicle operator’s license is required; CDL Preferred
- Possession of Massachusetts EMT-Basic Certification; Paramedic Preferred
- Firefighter I/II
- Hazmat; Operational Level Responder
- Able to pass a comprehensive criminal background investigation (including credit check andmotor vehicle driving history)
- Must pass Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)
- Residency within 10 miles preferred
- Must pass or have a current NFPA 1582 physical
- Must sign and pass a CORI
- Must sign a confidentiality agreement
- Drug/marijuana and tobacco products free
- Basic computer literacy, Windows & Apple
Knowledge, Skill, Ability
- Thorough knowledge of firefighting and fire prevention principles, practices
- Comprehensive knowledge of the state fire laws, fire behavior, fire codes,
and emergency medical care.
- Ability to quickly and prudently exercise command authority in life-threatening situations, taking into account a wide variety of factors and concerns.
- Ability to communicate effectively and efficiently verbally and in writing at all times.
- Courage and emotional stability. Ability to apply standard emergency aid techniques to specific situations.
- Ability to perform arduous tasks requiring physical endurance and agility under adverse conditions.
- Ability to consider and make timely and sound life-saving decisions.
- Ability to calculate percentages and medical doses in an accurate and swift manner.
- Ability to follow instructions and implement them in a quick measure.
- Ability to apply standard fire fighting and emergency aid techniques to specific situations.
- Skill in operating all fire and EMS equipment and apparatus.
How to Apply
A printable version of the application can be found here and should be sent to along with a letter of interest and resume to Chief Larry Fisher at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with "FF/EMT Application" in the subject line.
These positions will remain open until filled.
Merrimac is an Equal Opportunity Employer.