Police Full Time, Police Officer
The Town of Merrimac is looking to hire full time Police Officers who can effectively demonstrate problem solving abilities and maintain safety within the town of Merrimac through patrols and emergency response.
Non-Civil Service Police Officer – Lateral Transfers are Accepted.
- Patrol designated areas of the Town of Merrimac by vehicle, by foot, or other means to preserve law and order, discover and prevent the commission of crimes, and enforce traffic and other laws and ordinances; protect real and personal property by providing security checks of residential, business, and public premises; maintain awareness of and remain alert for wanted suspects, known criminals, stolen vehicles, missing persons, traffic violators, and crimes in progress; issue warnings and citations.
- Respond to calls for the protection of life and property, the enforcement of laws and ordinances, general public service calls, and complaints including those involving automobile accidents, traffic hazards, misdemeanor and felony incidents, domestic disturbances, property control, civil complaints, and related incidents; investigate complaints and take appropriate action, which may include the use of deadly or nondeadly force; use sound judgment under adverse, stressful conditions.
- Conduct investigations at scenes of incidents to which summoned to or incidents observed; determine what, if any, crime has been committed; identify, collect, preserve, process, and book evidence; locate and interview victims and witnesses; identify and interrogate suspects.
- Maintain all mandatory certifications and requirements with regard to the POST Commission and the MPTC.
- We anticipate that this will be overnight position(s): 1900 to 0700 shift. (4 and 4 schedule)
- Officers work a 12-hour shift on a (4) on (4) off shift rotation. Officers will be required to work both scheduled and unscheduled patrol shifts as needed.
- The ideal candidate must demonstrate problem solving abilities and will be evaluated based upon their training, education and experience in law enforcement or a related field.
- Be at least 21 years of age; possess a valid driver’s license and a Massachusetts Class A License to Carry Firearms;
- At a minimum, candidates should be a graduate of a full-time MPTC academy, or otherwise currently eligible in MA as a full-time police officer, with a valid C.P.R., and First Responder certification pursuant to MPTC and POST Commission Standards.
- Candidate must possess the ability to complete all of the requirements established by the Municipal Police Training Committee and the POST Commission to be certified as a police officer in Massachusetts.
- Candidates must satisfactorily complete any Oral Board and/or Written Examinations. • Be available to work all shifts for a 24/7 operation, including weekends and holidays. • Be a Non-Smoker pursuant to M.G.L. c41, s101A.
- Candidate must have NO felony convictions.
- The appointment to this position will be subject to a satisfactory background investigation, medical exam, psychological exam and drug screen.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and current resume to:
Chief Eric M. Shears
Merrimac Police Department
2 Jana Way
Merrimac, MA 01860