EMA Full Time, Public Safety Dispatcher
The Merrimac Police Department is looking to hire (1) full-time dispatcher. Upon successful training and certification, the full-time position pay will start at $19.93 per hour. In addition, competitive benefits include shift differential, holiday pay, vacation, personnel time and the ability to earn additional comp-time off.
A dispatcher is the primary contact to the public and law enforcement personnel entering the police station. A dispatcher is responsible to initiate the appropriate response to all requests for services.
A dispatcher operates and answers the Emergency 911 system, regular telephone system, and several multi-band radio systems. A dispatcher provides pre-arrival emergency instructions according to the emergency medical dispatch protocol we have established. A dispatcher notifies law enforcement and fire personnel of a request for service and dispatched the appropriate response. In addition, a dispatcher may dispatch Light Department personnel, Highway personnel, Highway/Tree Department personnel, Water Department personnel or any other personnel and equipment from local, state or federal agencies.
Due to observations made or actions taken dispatch personnel may be required to testify in a court of law in a truthful and accurate manner.
- High School Diploma required.
- Associates or Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- APCO EMD certified preferred.
- Experience is preferred but, not required.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to answer phones and operate several radio systems in a professional manner.
- Ability to act independently and with good judgment.
- Must be able to be trusted with highly confidential information.
- Excellent organizational skills are required, with attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Sound general knowledge of computer systems, including Microsoft Office Suite.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume and application to the Merrimac Police Department. The application is available at www.merrimacpolice.org. The posting will remain active until the positions are filled.