Fire Maynard, Full Time Firefighter
The Maynard Fire Department will be conducting a hiring process for the purposes of establishing a hiring eligibility list. The Maynard Fire Department has hired at least one firefighter from every list it has established since 2012. The Maynard Fire Department needs people who are capable of responding to calls and being a contributing member of the response team from day one.
The Maynard Fire Department is committed to hiring the most capable and committed people possible to help protect the citizens of Maynard. As such, we have outlined our hiring process below, and it is expected that all candidates wishing to be placed on the upcoming list will follow the directions for the process.
The process for establishing a hiring list will include the following:
- Phase one will be a review of the candidate’s application, cover letter, and resume, including an active and valid email address.
- Candidates chosen to move on will then agree to take an entry-level firefighter skills assessment, including a writing assignment (Scheduled for the week of May 2-6. 2022).
- The top candidates from the skills review and application package review will be invited to move one. Simply passing the skills review does not guarantee a candidate will move on.
- Candidates will be scored on their resume review with consideration being given to people with experience (not just time certified), skills assessment, writing prompt, and other categories deemed important to the Maynard Fire Department.
- Candidates scoring above satisfactory will then be invited back for an oral board and possibly a second oral board (Tentatively scheduled for the week of June 6-10).
- Candidates successfully passing the oral board(s) will be placed on a list that may be utilized for up to two years.
Candidates will be evaluated in multiple areas:
The first area will be your experience level. Experience can be described in your resume and cover letter. These should tell the story of who you are and what you have done in your professional life. Please provide all of the necessary experience you have in relation to this position in your resume and cover letter. Be specific about your duties, how long you have done them, and who you have done them for.
During the interview process, you may be interviewed multiple times. We are looking for people with a strong work ethic and high moral values.
As a Maynard Firefighter, you will have a lot of trust put in you by the general public. We want people who have a solid moral compass and understand what appropriate behavior for the workplace is.
Throughout the process, candidates will accumulate points. The candidates with the highest point totals will be placed on a list for us to hire from
A more detailed Job Description can also be found at: https://maynardfd.com/resources/employment/
The Maynard Fire Department is an equal opportunity employer that does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, gender, gender expression, ancestry, military status, religion, or sexual orientation.
How to Apply
Complete applications (incomplete applications will not be considered) should be submitted by Tuesday, April 19, 2022, at 3:00 p.m. and mailed or hand-delivered to:
Maynard Fire Department Attention: Chief Stowers
1 Summer Street
Maynard, MA 01754
All applicants MUST submit the following:
- A completed application for employment with signed background check release forms: see the MFD website for forms: https://maynardfd.com/resources/employment/
- A cover letter
- A resume with no less than three non-relative references