EMS Part Time, Firefighter/EMT (Per Diem)
PURPOSE OF POSITION: Responds to both natural and man-made disasters or emergencies and provides for the protection of life and property by combating, extinguishing, and preventing fires and providing emergency medical assistance and transport. Mitigating hazardous materials incidents, and provide technical rescue. Incumbents are expected to perform the full range of duties of a Firefighter/Emergency Medical Technician. Be a team leader and interact in a positive and productive manner with volunteer members.
Coverage Needed for Weekends and occasional Weekdays —Open until Filled
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
Depending upon assignment, duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Respond to fire with a fire company, enter burning buildings with hose lines, operate nozzles, and extinguish the fire as directed.
- Operate hand fire extinguishers, nozzles, and similar equipment in extinguishing fires; raise, lower, and climb ladders; and ventilate burning buildings to carry off smoke and gases.
- Rescue persons from danger and administer medical aid as necessary.
- Perform salvage operations such as throwing covers, evacuating water, removing debris, and performing general cleanup at the fire scene.
- Perform routine housekeeping duties at a fire station, such as mowing grass, cleaning walls, washing windows, and sweeping floors etc.
- Perform limited repair and maintenance work on fire equipment and apparatus.
- Attend in-service training sessions to learn firefighting strategies and tactics, equipment operation, medical aid, and street and hydrant locations.
- Drives pumpers, aerial ladders, rescue apparatus and ambulances when responding to the scene of emergencies and when participating in drills.
- Operates pumping equipment and other apparatus.
- Inspects and maintains apparatus and equipment to insure proper working condition.
- Prepares required reports relating to maintenance, inspection, movements, and usage of fire apparatus including equipment and hose records.
- Keep records and prepare required reports.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with employees and the general public.
- Perform any other related duties as assigned.
- State of Connecticut certified Emergency Medical Technician
- State of Connecticut Fire Fighter II Certification.
- State of Connecticut class B license or “Q” endorsement. Loss of the Class B or restricted license is cause of discipline and or termination.
- Qualification of department apparatus within six month of employment
- Apply modem firefighting procedures.
- Understand and learn firefighting information from oral and written sources.
- Read and write the English language at a level necessary for efficient performance. • Understand and follow oral instructions.
- Work long hours under stressful conditions.
- Apply a wide variety of firefighting duties, methods and procedures including the operation of firefighting apparatus, equipment, and tools.
- Perform physical and strenuous firefighting work requiring physical strength, coordination, endurance, and flexibility.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relations with others.
- Operate and maintain various types of equipment and apparatus used by the Fire Department.
High school diploma or G.E.D equivalent.
SPECIAL QUALIFICATION: Must be at least 18 years of age.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT: Must be able to pass periodic physical exams, drug screening and be able to work effectively under stressful situations. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk, sit, stand; climb or balance; and stoop kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move significant amounts of weight including equipment, and people during rescue operations or on EMS calls. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to focus. The dexterity necessary to utilize a computer keyboard or iPad on regular basis is essential.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should visit the Colchester Fire Department site here