The Town of Merrimac is looking to hire (4) Full-time, dedicated, highly motivated candidates, that have leadership qualities. These individuals must be team members that are able to collaborate with all members of our department and our community. These positions are the first in a plan to better staff the Fire Department and be able to provide continued quality services to the community.
These candidates are expected to have great organizational skills, communicate well, be people oriented, have a desire to learn, but also the ability to share knowledge gained.
The Merrimac Fire Department protects a community of approximately 6800 people in the approximate nine square miles that make up the community of Merrimac, MA. The Fire Department responds to an average of 1025 calls a year. The responses include all types of fires such as building, vehicle, wildland and other, we also respond to water related incidents, motor vehicle accidents, industrial accidents along with requests for ambulance service to all types of medical emergencies. Our Ambulance staffing design is a P/B model.
These positions are for a 12 hour/4 on/ 4 off schedule with some required OT and additional on-call coverage times overnight.
Candidate’s applications will be reviewed and if forwarded in the process, Candidates can expect to participate in a progressive style advancement, with each step being evaluated individually.
- Phone interview
- Writing assignment
- In person Review Board
- Chief’s interview
- Background Check
- NFPA 1582
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Massachusetts Firefighter 1-2 or Nationally recognized Firefighter I & II
- Massachusetts/National EMT-P (preferred)
- National EMT-B considered, conditional offers for obtaining EMT-P within 18 months, for successful candidates
- Active Driver’s License (CDL preferred)
- Able to pass a comprehensive criminal background investigation (including credit check and motor vehicle driving history)
- Capable of driving vehicles greater than 26,000 lbs. (CDL-B preferred)
- Must pass Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)
- Residency within 20 miles preferred
- Must pass or have a current NFPA 1582 physical
- Must sign and pass a CORI
- Drug/marijuana and tobacco products free
- Basic computer literacy, Windows & Apple
Additional considerations will be given for:
- Fire Prevention Officer Credentials
- Fire Officer Credentials
- Public & Fire Life Safety Educator
- Fire Instructor Credentials
- Fire Safety Officer
Positions open until filled.
Annual Salary: $40,000-$60,000 /year
Hourly Rate : Select an Hourly Rate (if applicable)